How to fix Tweetdeck & Adobe AIR links…

by Fred von Graf on February 10, 2009

Do the links in TweetDeck not work for you?  For a while now any links that I wanted to follow in TweetDeck would not work by clicking on them, so I would have to copy and then paste them in to a web browser.  Needless to say this was not ideal and made TweetDeck a far less appealing application to use, even with it’s many other advantages (saving that for another post).  Well with some exploration I was able to determine the cause of the problem and ultimately a fix.

Now I’m posting my findings here so others can refer to them and correct issues they have with links working within Adobe AIR applications.  I say Abobe AIR applications because the problem turns out not to be a fault of TweetDeck but rather a fault of Adobe and how they determine what the default browser is.

It all relates back to the Windows registry and where programs look to determine what browser to open when a .htm or .html file is clicked on.  Well most application look in the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm and the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html registry entries both which default to Internet Explorer and are changed by other browsers when they are set as the default browser.  Well Adobe doesn’t look at these registry keys but rather look at the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile entry which is not usually set by the browsers when being set as default (with the exception of Firefox).

Simple solution to getting links working in AIR applications, including TweetDeck:

1. From the Start Menu select ‘Set Program Access and Defaults’ in XP and in Start, Default Programs then ‘Set Program…’ in Vista

Start Menu Selection

2. From the Custom configuration click on the double down arrows to the right.

Custom Config

3. Select Internet Explorer and click OK.

Select IE

4. You should briefly see a notice that Internet Explorer is being set at default.

IE Set

5. Go to your Adobe AIR application, TweetDeck in our case and test a link.

Test AIR link

6. Internet Explorer should now open the link. Close Tweetdeck and Internet Explorer.

IE Opens

7. Now go to Firefox and have it check to see if it’s the default browser.

FireFox Default Setting

8. Change it so Firefox is the default browser.

Firefox Set Default

9. Now open your Adobe AIR application, Tweetdeck for us and test a link again.

Test Link in AIR App

10. This time the link should open in Firefox. Problem fixed.

Link in Firefox

Advanced (avoid unless the above does not work).

Only difference from the above simple instructions is the removal of three registry entries prior to following the above steps.  Use these options ONLY if the above didn’t work for you.

1. Go in to RegEdit (or your favorite registry editor).

regedit

2. Find the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.htm registry entry and delete it.

3. Find the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\.html registry entry and delete it.

4. Find the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\htmlfile registry entry and delete it.

Find Classes.htm.html

reg delete

5. Now go back to step 1 in the simple section and go from there.

Here’s a small video that illustrates the above simple solution:

TweetDeck / Adobe AIR Link Fix from Fred von Graf on Vimeo.

I hope you found the above helpful and it solves your Adobe AIR link problems.

You can always follow me on Twitter @fvongraf

Disclaimer: The above steps worked for me but I take no responsibility for any issues or damage following the above suggestions has.  Use the information at your own risk.

UPDATE (2009-2/24): Thanks to this entry being mentioned on Twitter (thanks @InsultComicDog & @HuffPost ) I’ve become aware of this great link that answer many a TweetDeck question.  Follow this link if you have more TweetDeck questions: http://www.richardbarley.com/2009/02/22/all-your-tweetdeck-questions-answered/ – Thanks @richardbarley for the great compilation of TweetDeck knowledge!

{ 19 comments }

ECS Dave February 23, 2009 at 20:38

I was pointed here by @InsultComicDog (and friend) and what worked for me (thanks for the post, BTW) was the “‘Set Program Access and Defaults’ in XP”, but I (being the way I am, LOL) just skipped the IE part and selected FF. Then opened tweetdeck, clicked a link, and BOOM, it worked…

Thanks again, and…

Be Well!
ECS Dave

Current score: 1
BeStMaker February 28, 2009 at 23:51

Hi, many thanks for the help, but i have the same problem after do all the steps.

When i do the 3 step DON’t appear the notice that Internet Explorer is being set at default (step 4). I think that is my problem.

Can you help me please
(sry 4 my bad english)

fvongraf March 2, 2009 at 10:17

Check the registry entries to see what they have in them. I had to go in and delete the entries to get my problem resolved. Try the ‘advanced’ advice and see if that fixes it for you.

CatalystY March 10, 2009 at 18:17

Thank You! You have helped me fix a very annoying problem. You rock!

Ryan March 15, 2009 at 14:44

As a recent Tweetdeck convert, this was one of the most annoying issues I had run into. Your tutorial worked perfectly and now links are clickable. Thanks!

Melanie May 19, 2009 at 09:01

Thank you, that was driving me crazy. The step by step screen shots made it so easy.

fvongraf May 19, 2009 at 23:03

You are very welcome, glad it helped! It was driving me crazy too.

fvongraf May 19, 2009 at 23:04

Thanks! Glad it’s helping people out.

Nancy June 10, 2009 at 12:53

Excellent. Thank you for the guidance. I was about to reluctantly give up Firefox and revert to IE 8 so I could use TweetDeck. You saved me from that. Again, many thanks.

fvongraf June 11, 2009 at 01:13

Nancy -
Thanks for your comment! I’m glad my tweetdeck link post helped, I know it was a relief when I finally got it working myself.

Fred

steve skelley July 15, 2009 at 16:06

I am new to Twitter/TweetDeck and am having fits trying to figure out how to post URL links within my tweets. I’ve studied your comments and find that they only apply to PC users. I have a MacPro and an iPhone. Can you give me any guidance?

Liz July 31, 2009 at 12:20

Worked just like you said it would. (VISTA) Mega-tks!

firdaus October 24, 2009 at 07:50

thank you so much for the tips man. Now the links are working!

Fred von Graf October 26, 2009 at 14:20

You are very welcome, I’m glad it helped! I know how frustrating it was for me :)

Keennybaidway February 13, 2010 at 10:13

Witam doszedlem do wniosku ze ta strona jest najlepsza jezeli chodzi o kredyt studencki.

Valera10 May 8, 2010 at 04:37
Russell May 27, 2010 at 00:56

I have been slowly going mad trying to resolve this issue – thank you very much for your help ! My sanity has been (somewhat) restored :)

Lood June 3, 2010 at 04:30

My problem is slightly different, but essentially the same. Unfortunately neither of the solutions worked for me. I permanently have 2 browsers open, Firefox and Chrome. Firefox is used for work stuff, while Chrome is used for browsing etc. By making Chrome my default browser, links open up in Chrome and everything is fine. When I have both Firefox and Chrome open, links open up in Firefox. It gets excessively frustrating to have to close down firefox or copy links and manually paste them in Chrome. Any suggestions?

Debbie June 3, 2010 at 09:01

My problem is that all of a sudden, Tweetdeck links are opening twice — one in a new tab in my already open IE window and then again in a new IE window Tweetdeck opens unbidden. Any advice on stopping this? Thanks!

Current score: 0

Comments on this entry are closed.

{ 2 trackbacks }